Canada Français United States of America English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Support
Intuit

NETFILE error code 2197

The CRA keeps track of your unused amounts and increases your yearly Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSP) deduction limit accordingly. This error code appears if the amount of unused RRSP contributions the CRA has on record doesn't match the amount you entered on your return.

To address this error:

• Check the RRSP Statement section of your Notice of Assessment and use amount B (shown at the bottom) for your unused RRSP contributions available for the Tax year.
  • You may have entered an amount where the amount should be zero. In this case, you'll need to delete the amount.
  • If the amount you entered as unused contributions is actually an RRSP receipt from before March 2nd of the current tax year that you didn't enter last year, delete that amount and adjust last year’s return to report this receipt on last year’s return.
  • If necessary, make sure any contributions you're designating as a repayment under the HBP and the LLP are correctly indicated on the Home Buyers’ Plan page.

Note: Your unused contribution amount is different from your unused contribution room, and it’s important to understand this distinction when filing your return. Your unused contribution amount is the amount of RRSP contributions you made but didn't deduct from your income, and you may carry this amount forward and use it as a deduction in a future year. Your unused contribution room represents the remaining amount you're entitled to contribute and deduct after accounting for your actual contributions. You can't designate payments to your HBP or LLP from the unused contributions.

Related information

How do I change the RRSP carry-forward amount?

Why aren’t my RRSP contributions appearing on my tax return?

Where can I find out how much room I have to contribute to my RRSP this year?

How do I enter RRSP contributions into TurboTax?

How do I claim unused RRSP contributions from previous years?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in
v