Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PA State Tax

This is my first year using TurboTax. The process was great and easy. Everything seemed to be what I expected for our Federal refund, but I had to pay thousands of dollars more than I've ever had before for our PA State residency tax. I'm not sure the process recognized that I'm active duty military. We requested an extension for the filing to try to figure this out. Can you help? Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

PA State Tax

You may need to amend your PA state return.   How do I amend my state tax return?   When you go through the PA return, you will come to a screen where you can exclude income.  On that screen, you should click on Military Income and make the necessary adjustments so that your military income is not taxed in PA.   Did you enter your DFAS w-2?  

Active duty military pay is not subject to PA personal income tax if earned by a PA resident serving full-time active duty or federal active duty for training outside the state. However, other income earned, received, or realized is taxable.   Did you file a resident PA tax return and is PA your Home of Record?  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

PA State Tax

Thank you so much! I imported my data from the federal return to do the PA return so I asked by W-2 was automatically filed. PA is our home of record

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

PA State Tax

As long as PA is your home of record, then you can amend your resident state return and make the necessary adjustments on the Military Income screen as described by DawnC. Once completed, the tax will be recalculated and in accordance with state law. 

@mbeer01 

PA State Tax

Thank you again for the help. I tried to Amend the return tonight, but I can't find the "military income" screen for the Amendment. I went through every step and it didn't provide that screen as an option to select.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

PA State Tax

In the Pennsylvania state section of TurboTax, click Update beside Income and Adjustments. On the page titled “Compensation Summary”, click Edit beside your military income.  Check the box for "Entire amount of this income is not taxable to Pennsylvania."  This will flag your military income as not taxable in Pennsylvania. 

@mbeer01 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies