seung2613

Determining my residency status in Canada in 2017 for tax return

Hi. I'm really confused whether I was a resident/ non-resident/ deemed resident in Canada in 2017. 

I entered Canada with a 1 year temporary work permit on April 25th, 2017 in Ontario and after working few months I moved to BC around August 23rd. I spent another few months working part time job in BC, and then I came back to my country (South Korea) on December 1st, 2017.

I had significant residential ties back then like a bank account, I rented a house, I had my cell phone, ID card but I canceled everything when I came back to my country. 

I'm now in South Korea and I'm going to BC this September for school and I'm going to stay there 2+ years. I haven't applied for study visa yet though.

In this case, should I claim my tax return as a resident and Is it correct to fill out this part like this?

"Enter your province or territory of

residence on December 31, 2017: BC"

In conclusion, I spent more than 183 days in Canada in 2017, and had significant ties but don't have any now, and I left Canada before December 31, 2017. I'm in South Korea now.

Thank you.

Investors and rental owners

It is always best to contact Canada Revenue Agency so that they may advise you what your residency is for 2017.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647704

View solution in original post