ksremenda

How do I properly account for my rent and cellphone when running a home based business?

turbo tax doesnt seem to be adding my rent or my cellphone deductions.  I am entering them under the "other expenses" specify section in T2125 home expenses section but its not being added to my business expenses

Investors and rental owners

In order to better assist you, we'd like a bit more information. Are your other home office expenses being deducted properly?
ksremenda

they appear to be.  although im not positive

The most common reason for your business-use-of-home expenses not appearing is a mistake the "number of rooms/square footage" question. Check your entries for the number of rooms used for business & number of rooms total.

Also, be sure to enter your rent/phone expenses for the entire year (not just the pro-rated portion). TurboTax will calculate the proper amount based on the number of rooms/square footage.

ksremenda

Hi Jennifer I followed your advise, but its still doesn't seem to be accounting for my rent or cell phone.  the tax write off amount doesn't change when I change the usage numbers.  Could there be anything else?