mi_rjam

My husband and I own a house & rent out 2 rooms. I put down 50%, he pays the mortgage for the rest. I'm in a lower tax bracket, can I declare > 50% of the rental income?

Since right now, I outright own 50% of the house, but he owes most of it to the bank still - is it possible to take that into account when declaring rental income? Ideally I would declare 100% of the rental income - it's a legal short-term rental, I do all the work, but it's not business income as we don't provide meals and other services. Also, My husband is in a much higher tax bracket, so it would be much better if I could declare the rental income. Is that possible? Or do we have to split it 50:50 since that is how ownership is split, even if right now he doesn't own nothing outright?

Investors and rental owners

Based on the information you've provided, you would be considered to be a co-owner at 50%. To represent that fact accurately on your tax return, you'll claim 50% if the net (after expenses) rental income and your spouse will claim the other 50%.