vifra

Seniors and students

Thanks. This is the 1st thing  I had  done, of course!.

Unfortunately, they operate , at least here in Quebec, with a remarkable lack of transparency, typical of the old European Borbonic administration ( if you know what I mean), i.e. that the government decides and they don't owe  any explanation to the citizen, unless you go through the official  lengthy channel of submitting a  formal request of reconsideration ( which I am about to do).

When the Old Age Security public servant informed me by phone that they calculate, by law, the income  differently from Revenue Canada, I asked him to to refer me to the specific law or regulation to this effect. He was unable to do it ( of course!), so I  asked him to provide this information in their letter  of refusal.  When I received the official letter, naturally, this information was not there.  

I then carefully read the Income Tax Act, the Income Tax Regulations, the Old Age Security Law and Regulations  and I could find absolutely no provision justifying a different way of calculating income for O.A.S. purposes.  

To the contrary,  the Old Age Security Act  O.A.S. ACT, (SECTION 13, G.I.S.). says explicitly  that :
Quote FOR OAS PURPOSES, THE MEANING OF INCOME  IS ACCORDING TO THE Income Tax Act. Unquote

I thought  you may be interested to know this, in case somebody else asks the same question.

Thanks

Franco V.