brett4182
Returning Member

If an employers contributions to an employees RRP are a taxable benefit how does the employee receive the associated tax deferral benefit?

I have an issue on the go with the CRA that I would like your opinion on:

• CRA completed an audit on my employer and has said that the employers (ER) contributions to the employees (EE) RPP are a taxable benefit to the EE.

• Revised T4’s for 2015 and 2016 have been issued with the only change being an increase in box 14 equal to the amount of the ER’s RPP contributions and an explanation in box 40. For clarity: box 20 (RPP contributions) and box 52 (pension adjustment) didn’t change.

• The way I see it, with these T4 changes, the taxation result will be as follows:

• EE will pay tax on the amount of the ER RPP contribution in the current year (and reassessed years)

• EE will pay tax again on the same funds in the future when the funds are withdrawn from the RPP….double taxation

• EE will have their eligible RRSP contribution amount reduced by the amount of the ER RPP contribution without the associated tax deferral benefit

I have talked with most senior CRA advisors available through telephone help. They agree that the concept of double taxation doesn't seem correct but they offer no advice on what to do about it.

In summary my questions are:

• Is my logic correct?

• Am I correct in arguing the double taxation?

• If I am correct, is there something I can reference to the CRA to argue my case?