After you file

Thanks Susan! That worked. However, you might want to update your software help feature which gives conflicting and erroneous information.

When I searched in help for "split donations" it brings up the response below which indicates that you cannot split donations with your spouse unless you do the returns separately. You have shown this to be false.

"If you are preparing your return together with your spouse, you cannot split charitable donations between you. If you prepare your returns individually, you can each claim your charitable donations on your own return. However, when you prepare your returns individually, you might miss out on other tax credits that the software calculates when you prepare a coupled return."

The above statement is then refuted as the help goes on to say you can split donations with an override but then cannot NETFILE (see below). Again you have shown  the last part of this statement to be false.

"To split charitable donations between spouses do the following:

1. Determine which taxpayer will perform the override.

The taxpayer who performs the override on their tax return cannot use NETFILE."

Had the help feature contained correct information and the procedure for splitting donations, there would have been no need for me to contact TurboTax. Perhaps the help should also indicate where in the software (i.e. form and line item) to do the override.

Again thank you very much for your help. I will make a note of the procedure for splitting donations for future years.