k-tobar

I need to change information on my tax return specifically the question of whether in 2023 I became a resident for tax return purposes

Could the error be the reason why I now have a debt?

After you file

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

k-tobar

After you file

Turbo tax online. I tried to modify through refile but I couldn't

After you file

You can't change residency information through ReFile. You should contact the CRA on how to proceed, as changing your residency status and how long you were a resident might significantly change your return. 

If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere, you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency

k-tobar

After you file

I have been in Canada since 2021, I left the country and returned approximately 6 months later. I kept my bank account which counts as one of the residential ties. In that question I should have put the re-entry date. or I really shouldn't have put anything in since in theory I didn't become a resident for tax return purposes because I already was.

After you file

In that case, you likely remained a resident of Canada. But if you are unsure of your residency status, you will need to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and confirm it with them. 

k-tobar

After you file

Thank you!