To qualify for the Northern Resident deduction you must have lived in a prescribed northern zone or intermediate zone for a continuous period of at least 6 consecutive months beginning or ending in [tax year]. There are three parts to claiming the Northern Residents Deduction; basic residency amount, additional residency amount, and travel deduction.
- On the third screen in the Profile section, answer Yes to the question are there other deductions such as public transit, union or professional dues or alimony that you want to claim?
- Select the I live in a remote area and qualify for the northern residents deduction checkbox. You'll enter information in the Deductions section of the interview.
- In the Deductions section, click Qualifies on the Northern Residents Deduction page.
- Complete the fields on the Northern Residents Deduction screen and then click Continue.
- Complete the fileds on the Northern Residents Deduction - Trips screen and then click Continue.
- Complete the fields on the Additional Residency Amount screen and then click Continue.
If you feel that you qualify and you have tried the above instructions and still have issues kindly call us by clicking the following link to the Contact Us page. Then complete the required information. A phone number will appear, along with your incident ID. Call the number. This will ensure that an appropriate agent is assigned to your query:
Here is a link with more info on Northern residency expenses