Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KMH5
Returning Member

1099 C received after final 1041 for the estate filed

Hello

Sorry if this a long story, but i want to get all the facts out there.  First of all, I am in CA.

My grandmother passed away in 2020 and I was the trustee but not a beneficiary.  She had a trust, but the only assets were a home with a reverse mortgage and her life insurance.  I filed her final personal income tax 1040 for 2020 as well as a 1041 for the estate.  I kept the trust (or estate, not sure of the proper verbiage) open through 2021.  I paid all the debts that i was aware of and disbursed the remainder of the funds to the 5 beneficiaries in December of 2021.  I filed a final 1041 for the estate for 2021 as well (I did check the 'this is the final return' box).  I thought that was the end of it until this week when i received a 1099C.  it is for 2023, 2 years after I "closed" the estate and distributed everything.  I am not sure what to do at this point.  I am guessing the beneficiaries should be responsible, but i have not kept in touch with them.  Will the IRS figure it out on their own based on the final 1041 i submitted?  or is there something I need to do on my end.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
M-MTax
Level 10

1099 C received after final 1041 for the estate filed

Manage cookies