Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-filing New York State Returns

New York State instructions state that tax returns for New York MUST be e-filed; paper returns will not be accepted (so they say).  They also say that e-filings to the state are free, and that the cost is included with the price of the software providers (i.e., TurboTax).  Is this true?  If one goes to e-file a New York State return via TT, does TT bypass the purchase of the e-filing capability?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes----if you are using online TT, you will still pay to use the state software to prepare a NY return, just like everyone else who has to pay to use state software.  There is no e-file fee with online TurboTax.

If you use the CD/download there is a fee of $25 to e-file a state return with the EXCEPTION of a NY state return.  You will not be subject to the state e-file fee for a NY return if you are using desktop software.

All of this assumes that you are able to e-file your federal return successfully and the IRS accepts the federal return.  You cannot e-file any state return if the IRS does not accept your e-filed federal return first.  If you file a federal return by mail, you have to mail the state (even NY).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes----if you are using online TT, you will still pay to use the state software to prepare a NY return, just like everyone else who has to pay to use state software.  There is no e-file fee with online TurboTax.

If you use the CD/download there is a fee of $25 to e-file a state return with the EXCEPTION of a NY state return.  You will not be subject to the state e-file fee for a NY return if you are using desktop software.

All of this assumes that you are able to e-file your federal return successfully and the IRS accepts the federal return.  You cannot e-file any state return if the IRS does not accept your e-filed federal return first.  If you file a federal return by mail, you have to mail the state (even NY).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for your very speedy reply!

Since we are using desktop software, I guess this means that we e-file the federal return first, and, when accepted within a few days, then e-file the NY return as a follow up.  Since we e-file five family Federal returns every year, those returns that also have state returns get mailed subsequently.  Does it make sense to hold off on e-filing the NY return until all five Federal returns have been e-filed, just in case?  The Federal returns are upwards of a 100 pages, and I wouldn't look forward to having to mail one of them!

Again, many thanks.

You can e-file federal and state at the same time; it just takes longer to get the acceptance for the state e-file.  First the IRS has to accept the federal and then the state can accept your NY return.   You do not have to file federal and wait to file the state.  

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

I just e-filed both the Federal and New York State returns - free of charge.  TT took me to several pages with respect to the NY for my reading, but when it came to the sending of the two returns, both were shown as no charge.

Again, thanks for your inputs and for answering my numerous questions!

Manage cookies