Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxhelpneeded2023
Returning Member

Help! Traditional IRA indirect rollover question

I made a withdraw from my traditional IRA account and deposited the fund into my checking account (not an early withdrawal). Then I just realized my 2023 taxable income is way too high now, so after I spent some time on google I learned that I can put the money back in an IRA account within 60 days, and this will be treated as a rollover so that my taxable income won’t increased because of this previous“withdrawal”. However, since the withdrawal happened in 2023 and now we are in 2024, the new institution says they won’t be able to provide a 5498 for tax year 2023. How will this impact my 2023 tax filling? Can I still don’t get taxed on this “withdrawal” after I do the rollover within 60 days?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If you do the roll over within 60 days, when you get the 1099-R for that distribution tell the program that you rolled it over and you will not get taxed. The 5498 is an informational form and doesn’t have to be filed. 

Taxhelpneeded2023
Returning Member

Hi @Bsch4477 ! Thank you for the information! I’ve already received the 1099 R from my old IRA provider. Do you mean that I need to reach out to them after I do the IRA rollover and they will issue another corrected 1099R to show it’s a rollover rather than an withdrawal, so that I don’t get taxed on the full amount of this “withdrawal/rollover”?

No. You don't need a corrected 1099R.  But when did you take the withdraw?  You only had 60 days from then to put it back in.  And the clock it ticking.   And you need to put back the whole amount including the tax withholding or the withholding will become a distribution by itself and taxable.  

After you enter the 1099R it will ask what you did with it.  Pick that you moved it or rolled it over to another account even if you put it back into the same account.  

Taxhelpneeded2023
Returning Member

Hi @VolvoGirl ! I made the withdrawal on 12/18/23, so yea, the clock is ticking and it would be 60 days next Friday. After I select the rollover on Turbo tax, what kind of documenta or evidence do I need to provide? Or I just complete the rollover then select the rollover option on turbo tax then I’m all set?

Just keep any documents yourself if the IRS asks.  The new IRA should send you the for 5498 for the deposit.  Just keep it with your records.  

Taxhelpneeded2023
Returning Member

Hi @VolvoGirl , the new IRA says they won’t send me 5489 for 2023 tax year since I do the rollover in 2024. That won’t be an issue for me to file my 2023 tax when selecting this as a rollover, right?

Manage cookies