Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Iowa Tax Calculation Discrepancies

According to the instructions from the Iowa Department of Revenue (https://tax.iowa.gov/sites/default/files/2024-03/2023%20Expanded%20Instructions_030824.pdf), Iowa taxes start with leveraging the Federal filing and and adjusting from there.  As part of that, they use an IA 1040 Schedule 1 to determine modifications to the Federal Filing such as subtracting out pension, IRA and Social Security income from the federal income.  I've noticed some discrepancies as to TurboTax Premier's treatment and carryover of data from the Fed form inputs.  Of course, some (or all) of these observations could be incorrect based on my lack of accounting knowledge... Afterall, that's why I use Turbotax.

1.  I inherited a small railroad retirement income which seems to be ignored Schedule 1 Line 7 (IRA/Pension/Railroad Retirement Income) for a subtraction.

2. On Schedule 1 Line 15, Iowa allows a income subtraction for Health insurance deduction if Iowa income is less than $100,000.  My Iowa income would meet that criteria, however Iowa stipulates that you must add back the IRA/Pension/Railroad Retirement Income that was subtracted out in order to meet that requirement.  I zeroed out all the medical expenses I could, but Turbotax still shows a subtraction for Medicare premiums reported on Form SSS-1099 which are automatically paid out of Social Security.  As such, that subtraction should not be allowed... And TurboTax still allows the medical dedution.  It appears Turbotax ignores the requirement to not allow that subtraction if you exceed the $100,000 limit AFTER re-adding the retirement income back in to the Iowa income.  I don't see a way to manually remove the medical premium entry from the Iowa Modifications to Federal Taxable Income calculation.

3. The IA-1040 instructions indicate that "you are exempt from Iowa tax if you meet both of the following conditions: 1. Your Iowa taxable income from all sources, line 4, is $13,500 or less ($32,000 if you or your spouse was 65 or older on 12/31/23).  2.  You are not claimed as a dependent on another person’s Iowa return."  With both me and my wife being over 65, and our Iowa taxable income after applying the Schedule 1 reductions as I understand them are less than $32,000.  Therefore, I would think that we are exempt from Iowa tax.  Yet TurboTax still calculates a tax (apparently ignoring the $32,000) according to the tables provided in the IA Tax Calculation Worksheet 41-026 (https://tax.iowa.gov/sites/default/files/2023-12/TaxCalculationWorksheet%2841026%29.pdf).  Am I not understanding something here?

Any comments or other observations are certainly invited.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Iowa Tax Calculation Discrepancies

I spent a couple hours on the phone with TurboTax reps yesterday and walked through the entries (at least #3 in previous post, the tax calculation issue).  Leading the rep to the Iowa Tax site instructions and pointing them to the calculation instruction on page 12 for status married filing jointly age 65, I believe I had concurrence from the rep that TT was not taking the age stipulation under consideration.  After she verified I was using the latest TT update, she still would not confirm a TT program problem, even after being on hold multiple times as she consulted with others.  Instead, between suggesting my virus software and windows update status was interfering with the calculation (as an engineer, I find that difficult to accept based on all other program functioning as expected), or needing to upgrade to an accountant assisted status (unacceptable, since I already entered everything per the program instructions, why should I pay extra for someone to do that again?).  She suggested I delete my state filing and redo it.  No change.  I also switched to the online TT version (apparently available free from my brokerage) and went through the entire painful process of completely inputting the fed and state data... No Difference!  I'm assuming that since this age consideration is hidden only in the tax instructions and is not specifically state in the tax forms or tax calculation worksheet, TT programmers ignored it.

I sent a question to the Iowa tax folks to verify that I am not misinterpreting the tax instructions and will update when I hear something.  Assuming they confirm my assessment, I guess I may have to manually file the state return to save the liability TT  says I have unless something in the program changes.  Perhaps I'm the only Iowa resident over age 65, but I have to wonder if others are overpaying their true liability.  Up until now, I always held TurboTax in extremely high regard.  Maybe I'll see an update to the program in the near future that will keep them up at the top.

Manage cookies