Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ayachan02

Should I be claimed as a dependent if I got married and moved out in the latter half of the year of 2023

I got married in latter part of 2023 and moved out of my parents house and the state to be with my husband. We want to file jointly together but my parent wants to claim me as a dependent. I did not go to college and as a couple we paid for the wedding ourselves which was my main expense of the year. 
Whats the best course to go about this issue? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Should I be claimed as a dependent if I got married and moved out in the latter half of the year of 2023

A few more pertinent facts would help us here.  You have already said you were not a student in 2023.   If you were 19 or older and had over $4700 of income, no one can claim you as a dependent.  And...if you file a joint return with your spouse, no one can claim you.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ayachan02

Yes I am over the age of 19 and made more than the requirement 

@ayachan02 You cannot be claimed as anyone else's dependent.   You were too old to be claimed as a qualified child and made too much income to be a qualified relative.  Neither your parents or anyone else can claim you as a dependent.

Best Wishes!

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Manage cookies