Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim for the U-passes of my adult dependants attending university?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Assuming they are not depending on you due to age, infirmity or disability, adults are not your dependants. Therefore the Student(s) must file their own return(s) and claim transit passes on those returns.

This assumes that transit was paid independently and separately from any Tuition amount.

If the transit pass fees were built into the Tuition fee, they should not be claimed, since the students will be claiming tuition credit.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Assuming they are not depending on you due to age, infirmity or disability, adults are not your dependants. Therefore the Student(s) must file their own return(s) and claim transit passes on those returns.

This assumes that transit was paid independently and separately from any Tuition amount.

If the transit pass fees were built into the Tuition fee, they should not be claimed, since the students will be claiming tuition credit.

Thanks.  Disappointed to learn the transit passes get different treatment from medical expenses.

Medical expense claim would cover any amounts not paid for through a private or provincial health plan. You could also claim insurance premium payments for private health plans.