Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i declare the income I earn from mining cryptocurrency as capital gains. I only have a few gpus that mine?

1 Reply

Can i declare the income I earn from mining cryptocurrency as capital gains. I only have a few gpus that mine?

According to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), Cryptocurrency mining can be considered a business activity, meaning it would be seen as income under a business. However, the income tax treatment for Cryptocurrency miners is different depending on whether your mining activities are a personal activity (a hobby) or a business activity. This is decided on a case-by-case basis.

Considering you only have a few pieces of equipment, and that the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) understands that the personal/business activity decision is a subjective matter, you are okay to not report this as long as it's a hobby for you. I would start to report income the moment you are upgrading your equipment, buying more pieces and reinvesting back into the operation. This would be considered more towards business than a hobby at that point.

For more information, check out: Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - Mining Crypto

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.