Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dnc0115

Can you carry over amounts in Box 85 on a T4 and claim them in 2018 ? It is well below my 3% and i am single so cant transfer it to anyone

Helping a friend with her taxes 

can you carry over the balance on box 85 of a T4? 

The amount she pays nowhere nears her 3% so can see carry this over ?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can you carry over amounts in Box 85 on a T4 and claim them in 2018 ? It is well below my 3% and i am single so cant transfer it to anyone

You cannot carryforward medical expenses but can choose an optimal 12 month period to maximize the credit. However if she is below the threshold, I would try and choose a 12 month period where she spent the most on medical and claim it for that period.  If after trying that, she is still under the threshold, then her medical expense credit has to be 0 for the year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You cannot carryforward medical expenses but can choose an optimal 12 month period to maximize the credit. However if she is below the threshold, I would try and choose a 12 month period where she spent the most on medical and claim it for that period.  If after trying that, she is still under the threshold, then her medical expense credit has to be 0 for the year.