Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering line 43700 without overriding

I was a non-resident for the whole 2019 year and got a NR4 slip from my financial institution. I am trying to enter the amounts I have in boxes 16 and 17 on my NR4 in TurboTax Standard 2019 (downloaded, not online).

The reason of my question is once an override is used for this line, TurboTax won't allow online filing of the return.

Any way to enter it using the Easy Step Interview ?

However I should be able to file my return through Netfile since the CRA says on its eligibility list:

"The following is a list of specific situations that prevent you from filing a tax return through the NETFILE service:

8X.........(cut)

• You are an emigrant or non-resident of Canada. This excludes the following income and tax forms: Schedule A, Schedule B, Schedule C, income from NR4 slipssection 217 income"
  • 8X........(cut)

Thanks,

Alex

1 Reply

Entering line 43700 without overriding

As a non-resident, you will not be able to Netfile your return.

I see where you referenced on the CRA website, but it states clearly that if you are a non-resident you will not be able to Netfile.

You will have to print and mail your tax return to the CRA.

In a previous post, I had provided you with the information requested as to how to apply your NR4 - if one is needed at all.

Please take note that if you are overriding in the TurboTax software, this alone may/will prevent you from Netfiling.

Plus, Netfile opens February 24th,2020, no one is able to Netfile until then.