Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maria-NS

Free Version - Doesn't Have Required Forms in Our Tax Situation - Can I Skip without trouble from CRA?

We are using the free version this year because to put it plainly, we are broke. We cannot afford to pay for the tax filing and got a message saying an upgrade is required. The reason stated was vague, it just said something about the forms required are not available in the free version. 

We can't pay the nearly 50.00 fee. Should I just submit our tax return manually or should I continue with free version (if it lets me) and file with that information and let CRA figure out the forms? The information would all be present, so the form may be something the CRA can complete. It happened to me years ago when I was still new at filing taxes and the CRA just completed the form needed and processed my return. 

1 Reply

Free Version - Doesn't Have Required Forms in Our Tax Situation - Can I Skip without trouble from CRA?

When TurboTax asks you to upgrade that means there is something that you can claim that will be added on the next level of the software. Are you claiming any medical expenses or perhaps any donations? This will ask you to upgrade. TurboTax free is for a basic return. What is it that you are trying to claim and it shows a lock beside it?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.