Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, I'm a day trader, self-employed. How should I report my income (loss) and my expenses?

Should the income (loss) flow in form T5008 and the expenses in the self-employment section ? If so, is the type of income called ''Investment'' in the T5008 for day trading (business income)? And what would be the category of business for the self-employed section? I tried adding the loss I incurred in the self-employed section but negative numbers are not allowed. So i figured that I wasn't reporting it at the right place.... If the expenses aren't suppose to be disclosed in the self-employment section, where should they go?
1 Reply

Hello, I'm a day trader, self-employed. How should I report my income (loss) and my expenses?

I have run into the same situation and still have not found an answer that applies.

As much as I have been able to gather, day trading is considered business activity so the T5008 should not be filled in but used to calculate business income(losses) from day trading on the T2125.

On the T2125, if I report income (sale of investments) and expenses (purchase of investments) it calculates the loss correctly. Problem - now a warning stating CRA wants me to register for GST since the Gross Income (sale of investments) exceeded $30,000.