Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i declare my uber eats income correctly? What goes where?

1 Reply

How do i declare my uber eats income correctly? What goes where?

When working for a food delivery service like UberEats, Skip the Dishes, or DoorDash, you’re considered self-employed. This means that in addition to filing your usual T-slips (if you receive any income elsewhere as an employee), you must report your self-employment income on Form T2125. You’ll claim your gross income from the business (including tips), deduct any expenses to calculate the net business income, and report the GST/HST paid.

As an independent contractor, you can claim tax deductible expenses to help lower your tax owing. Remember to separate your personal expenses from your business expenses by calculating the portion of your costs used for delivering food.

Common tax deductible expenses for food delivery drivers include:

• Your bike and accessories (if you deliver by bike instead of car)
  • A portion of mobile phone expenses
  • Commissions and fees
    • If the delivery app charges a commission, you can typically deduct the fees paid to the platform

If you completed your deliveries by car, you may be able to deduct vehicle expenses such as: 

• Lease payments
  • Gas
  • Vehicle fluids (such as antifreeze or oil)
  • Parking fees during pickup and delivery
  • Maintenance and repairs
  • Roadside assistance

If you'd like more information about GST and HST reporting requirements and ride-sharing income taxes here are two informative TurboTax articles. For more information please view our TurboTax video: TurboTax Canada Uber Partner Webinar

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.