Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddkjo

How do I delete an unfiled return? There is no garbage can beside the "continue" button when I view all tax returns.

1 Reply

How do I delete an unfiled return? There is no garbage can beside the "continue" button when I view all tax returns.

Note that when you delete a return, you won't be able to access it again and we won't be able to retrieve the information for you.

For TurboTax Online: 

If the return you want to delete doesn't have a trash can beside it:

You will need to start a new return. On the page that displays your tax returns, you'll see two returns: the blank return you just created, and the return you want to delete. Locate the return you want to delete and select its corresponding trash can icon. When prompted to confirm the deletion, select Delete.

For TurboTax CD/Download:

Please close the program. Then in Windows, navigate to the location of the tax file you want to delete. The files are usually stored in Documents>TurboTax>2023 (or whatever year you are working on). Find the tax file that you want to delete and then drag it to the Windows Recycle Bin. When you empty the Recycle Bin, the file will be permanently deleted.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.