Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to submit my self-employement income from Youtube. I am getting a CRA Netfile Error. Says Industry Code 519130 is invalid. Which one should I use then?

This is the industry code I used last year without issue. It is still listed on the NAICS Government of Canada listing. https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=118464&CVD=118471&CPV=519130&CST=0101201...
2 Replies

I am trying to submit my self-employement income from Youtube. I am getting a CRA Netfile Error. Says Industry Code 519130 is invalid. Which one should I use then?

Please see this updated list: North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2022 Version 1.0

If further guidance is required please contact our telephone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I was helping someone who has T4 income as well as YouTube income.

On the T1 General, if you click on Business Income, you will end up on a page "Business Income Summary," and if you then click where the amount of earnings appears or is entered, you will end up on "Statement of Business and Professional Activities." The Industry Code is entered on that page near the top.

I attempted to use the Industry Code which has worked for YouTube earnings for the last 5 years -- 519130. Trying to Netfile with this code caused everything to stop, saying this code was invalid, in other words, it was WRONG.

I tried this multiple times and couldn't get past this point for Netfiling.

However, if you go to the Help for "Industry Code" in TurboTax, you will see there is no longer one place you can look up these codes. There are different codes used when Netfiling, and, as a result, there is a new code if you have YouTube income. Going to some WWW site via this Help link, you can work your way through the choices, and you end up with this new code, which is 519290.

OK, so I went back to the 519130 number as mentioned above and removed it, expecting that when the Netfiling was done again, it would ask for the new code (and it would work).

However, I noticed one thing ... during my previous attempts to Netfile, I had forgotten to enter the code from the previous year's assessment (where you do this is down at the bottom of the page, actually below the bottom of what you can see on my screen). I don't know if that was what affected all this business. So I entered this code from the assessment notice.

I ran through all the usual prompts to Netfile, expecting to get one which said "there is no Industry Code entered, please enter that now" (in other words, the new code), but it didn't do that. It totally ignored this and went right through to the point where the return was accepted by CRA!!

This was weird, but it seemed to echo what I had read somewhere on some WWW page when trying to figure out what the heck was going on with the "invalid" code, which was words to the effect that "You really don't need to enter the Industry Code, if you don't enter this, it's not like you will get in trouble."