Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
er3

I became registered in my profession & began working in October 2015. Should my fiscal period for my 2015 taxes be Jan 1 2015-Dec31 2015 or October 1 2015 - Dec31 2015?

If I use Oct 1-Jan31 2015 for this year's taxes can I easily switch the fiscal year beginning to Jan 1 in Turbotax for future years? Or should I use the full calendar year in 2015 even though I wasn't legally able to work in the profession until Oct 2015?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I became registered in my profession & began working in October 2015. Should my fiscal period for my 2015 taxes be Jan 1 2015-Dec31 2015 or October 1 2015 - Dec31 2015?

Hi,

A fiscal period is the time covered from the day your business starts its business year to the day your business ends its business year.

For an existing business, the fiscal period is usually 12 months. A fiscal period cannot be longer than 12 months. However, it can be shorter than 12 months in some cases, such as when a new business starts or when a business stops.

Self-employed individuals generally have to use a December 31 year-end. If you are an eligible individual, you may be able to use an alternative method of reporting your business income that allows you to keep a fiscal period that does not end on December 31.

To know more details -

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-resources/business-owner-tax/establishing-fiscal-year-for-your-busine...

Hope this helps

Thanks

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Hi,

A fiscal period is the time covered from the day your business starts its business year to the day your business ends its business year.

For an existing business, the fiscal period is usually 12 months. A fiscal period cannot be longer than 12 months. However, it can be shorter than 12 months in some cases, such as when a new business starts or when a business stops.

Self-employed individuals generally have to use a December 31 year-end. If you are an eligible individual, you may be able to use an alternative method of reporting your business income that allows you to keep a fiscal period that does not end on December 31.

To know more details -

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-resources/business-owner-tax/establishing-fiscal-year-for-your-busine...

Hope this helps

Thanks