Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a T4A with $500 in box 48. (I got it for a talk I gave at a university.) When I enter it it somehow thinks that I have a business. How can I fix this?

I am clearly not a business. Why does entering something in box 48 necessarily open a business form?  Can I just enter this 500$ honorarium somewhere else?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a T4A with $500 in box 48. (I got it for a talk I gave at a university.) When I enter it it somehow thinks that I have a business. How can I fix this?

Yes, your fee is considered a business service, but you are not a business.
A T2125 form has to be completed. But it is easier than you think!
CRA has recognised your predicament and even provides a webinar fir volunteers who encountert this situation.
Simply enter your name, show your year end as 31 Dec. Don't claim any expenses. Input a plausible 6- digit industry code from the list provided, and enter your fee amount in the box shown for T4A box48 payment. Sure it's a bit of a hassle but few entries are needed.

The alternate is to show this as Other Income not on a t-slip.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, your fee is considered a business service, but you are not a business.
A T2125 form has to be completed. But it is easier than you think!
CRA has recognised your predicament and even provides a webinar fir volunteers who encountert this situation.
Simply enter your name, show your year end as 31 Dec. Don't claim any expenses. Input a plausible 6- digit industry code from the list provided, and enter your fee amount in the box shown for T4A box48 payment. Sure it's a bit of a hassle but few entries are needed.

The alternate is to show this as Other Income not on a t-slip.