Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjbourne

Why Microsoft Visual C++?

I have read your answer to the user that asked what to do after he got an error that "it appears Microsoft Visual C++ failed to install." You said that this error has no effect on the functionality of the program. To me a more important question is - Why then is it included in your installation package? I don't program in C++ and would rather not have it using up my drive space if it is not needed.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The application will not run if you don't have Microsoft VC++ redist installed on your machine. A bunch of features makes use of it and its an important part of the application. The application by default will install the dependent version of Microsoft VC++. About a month back we had issues with recent version released by Microsoft and we were not able to detect that - may be this is the reason you would have heard about its not needed. Which means - if you have the recent version of Microsoft VC++ and we are trying to install the older version it will give the issue and you can skip it during the installation. 

We install VC++ 2015 x86. The issue of latest VC++ detection is now resolved and if you get the latest installer you should not see this issue.

Hope this explanation helps, do let me know if you still have any concern / questions.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hi,

The application will not run if you don't have Microsoft VC++ redist installed on your machine. A bunch of features makes use of it and its an important part of the application. The application by default will install the dependent version of Microsoft VC++. About a month back we had issues with recent version released by Microsoft and we were not able to detect that - may be this is the reason you would have heard about its not needed. Which means - if you have the recent version of Microsoft VC++ and we are trying to install the older version it will give the issue and you can skip it during the installation. 

We install VC++ 2015 x86. The issue of latest VC++ detection is now resolved and if you get the latest installer you should not see this issue.

Hope this explanation helps, do let me know if you still have any concern / questions.

maxste

The answer is helpful however not complete. I attempted installation of Turbo Tax 2017 from the CD and received the error message that MS Visual C++ did not install. My question is; will my version of the tax software function correctly with this error. I have completed the installation and the update but still have the error message prompting me to install, however, the installation fails because of a newer version of C++ on my system. Should I in-install my C++ 2017 and install C++ 2015 (regressions) ??
rjbourne

I think the response from Aidan does answer your question: "...if you have the [more] recent version of Microsoft VC++ and we are trying to install the older version it will give the issue [error] and you can skip it during the installation." For some reason their Microsoft install does not detect our newer versions of C++, but if you ignore the error message and try TurboTax, it will run fine with the newer C++. At least mine does.
kacrjl

I installed Turbo tax and ignored this error message, Turbo tax did run. I completed my return and saved it until I can upload to CRA.  I tried to open the file a little later and it would not open.
VH2

I installed TurboTax 2018 Standard from a download link on your website today.  I encountered the same problem.  I clicked SKIP as I have a newer version of VC++ installed on my computer.  I hope I will not have any problems.  I realize the original question is for Turbo Tax 2017 and the answer says the newer version has corrected the problem  This problem is now reoccurring in the next year's version of the program !!!