Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kdoyle83

I'm trying to claim disability for my son, Why does it ask for amounts from my son's return?

It keeps asking for amounts from his return, but he's 4 years old, he doesn't do a return. I believe the disability amount is $12,506, but I don't know where to enter it?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm trying to claim disability for my son, Why does it ask for amounts from my son's return?

The amounts being asked are amounts that would be on your son's return were a return to be filed for him.  It does not mean your son is required to file a tax return.  The software asks about income and credits that would be on your son's return because if your son needed any of the disability credit to reduce his own tax liability he is required to use part or all of the credit first.  As your son's income is zero, just indicate that for his net income.  Don't worry about credits...the software knows about the basic personal amount.  Tye software will calculate the disability transfer based on the information you enter.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The amounts being asked are amounts that would be on your son's return were a return to be filed for him.  It does not mean your son is required to file a tax return.  The software asks about income and credits that would be on your son's return because if your son needed any of the disability credit to reduce his own tax liability he is required to use part or all of the credit first.  As your son's income is zero, just indicate that for his net income.  Don't worry about credits...the software knows about the basic personal amount.  Tye software will calculate the disability transfer based on the information you enter.