Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djwb32

I reported my taxable stipend income on Line 105 of my T4A, but now TurboTax is warning me I haven't reported any income for the year. I can't file like this. What gives?

The income is a Graduate Research Award which is given to masters students in my university program. I had some tax deducted at the source, so obviously my income was taxable and I have reported it as such. Yet, NETFILE or TurboTax seem to think I have reported zero income. It even shows up in Line 15000. No clue what to do here and I can't NETFILE like this! I called three different TurboTax experts and they have also been stumped.
2 Replies

I reported my taxable stipend income on Line 105 of my T4A, but now TurboTax is warning me I haven't reported any income for the year. I can't file like this. What gives?

If you report Research Grants as income, you should report it on line 104, add all the research grants you received that tax year of your income tax return.

Maybe that's why the amount shows up on Line 15000. (all other income in part 2 of your tax return including line 104)

For more information, please click:

TurboTax Research Grants: Income and Expenses

TurboTax Line 15000 (formerly 150) on Your Tax Return

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

djwb32

Hi Tom, thank you for the reply. Unfortunately your answer does not fit my problem, because it was a research award (like a stipend), not a grant. Furthermore, the income was reported on Line 105 on my T4A given by the university, so I don't think I can just move it to Line 104.

That income showing up on Line 15000 is not the problem; the problem is TurboTax (or NETFILE) is looking at my return and concluding that I have "not reported any income" for the year, which is incorrect -- I have reported it and it is showing up in Line 15000. I just need a way to get TurboTax (or NETFILE) to acknowledge the income I reported.