Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I work for the federal government in Ontario and live in Quebec. I have received a T4 and a Relevé 1 but the numbers do not match (R1 has field J only). What should I do?

On the T4, the total income seems right but the R1 field A is equal to field J only which is meant for medical insurance.  The software defaults R1 fields to the ones on the T4 but they do not match the R1 slip I have received.

On the R1 slip, all single letter fields except J are set to 0.00, not matching their corresponding boxes in the T4.

The final result varies greatly depending on how I interpret this... I think the T4 amount should be added to the R1 J column since that value is considered extra income from my employer's medical benefits but the software doesn't seem to see it this way.  If I enter the values exactly as I have on paper, the total owed amount makes no sense (I would receive a big amount as opposed to the expected negative value).

if I set the A field of the R1 to the sum of box 14 and column J, then the owed amount seems appropriate but I feel like I shouldn't be modifying those values...

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I work for the federal government in Ontario and live in Quebec. I have received a T4 and a Relevé 1 but the numbers do not match (R1 has field J only). What should I do?

I believe that you should allow TurboTax to auto-fill the boxes on the R1 from the T4 that you have entered and then you will add the amount from box J to the R1 that is generated by the system.  Then you will go to the Tax Transfer for Residents of Quebec and transfer some of the federal tax to the provincial side so that your Federal refund goes down and your provincial amount owing also goes down.  This evens out the tax between the two returns.  Normally, non QC employers do not issue R1's at all. Your R1 seems to be issued so that you can take ensure that you have included the cost of the private medical plan and prove that you do not have to enroll in the QC prescription drug plan.  You are also correct in saying that usually the Employment Income for QC includes the Medical Premiums when they are paid by the employer which seems to be correct in your case.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I believe that you should allow TurboTax to auto-fill the boxes on the R1 from the T4 that you have entered and then you will add the amount from box J to the R1 that is generated by the system.  Then you will go to the Tax Transfer for Residents of Quebec and transfer some of the federal tax to the provincial side so that your Federal refund goes down and your provincial amount owing also goes down.  This evens out the tax between the two returns.  Normally, non QC employers do not issue R1's at all. Your R1 seems to be issued so that you can take ensure that you have included the cost of the private medical plan and prove that you do not have to enroll in the QC prescription drug plan.  You are also correct in saying that usually the Employment Income for QC includes the Medical Premiums when they are paid by the employer which seems to be correct in your case.

Could you please clarify your response: Should the R1 Box A Employment Income in the software be the sum of the employment income shown on the R1 and T4, for this case. I have the same problem as the original poster.
tweel91
Returning Member

Can this be clarified, please?