Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cphalen12

Im a commission employee and have been for years i feel like ive been missing out on what i can claim?

1 Reply

Im a commission employee and have been for years i feel like ive been missing out on what i can claim?

As a commission employee, there are a variety of expenses that you can claim on Form T777, Statement of Employment Expensescell phones when you file your personal income tax return. These costs commonly include accounting fees, legal fees, and costs for business cards, promotional gifts, cellphones, and computers.

If you are using your automobile for employment purposes, you can claim a portion of the costs associated with work-related transportation. These automobile expenses include fuel, maintenance, insurance, registration fees, parking, and any interest or leasing costs.

Any time you are hosting a client at an event, you can deduct 50 percent of the amounts you spend on food, beverages, tickets, and entrance fees for an event as Entertainment Expenses.

If you are required to be away from the office for over 12 hours at a time, you can also claim food and beverage costs. These costs refer to meals for yourself, not those for entertaining a client, and are subject to the 50% rule as well.

Another worthwhile advantage is the ability to claim workspace-in-the-home expenses. Commission employees can claim expenses that the regular salary employees cannot:

Please read through our TurboTax article for more information: Tax-Deductible Expenses for Commission Employees.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.