Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It is asking me to upgrade my return to Selfemployed, when I am not and I am not reporting any communal income, but it won't let me go further unless I upgrade, costsmore

1 Reply

It is asking me to upgrade my return to Selfemployed, when I am not and I am not reporting any communal income, but it won't let me go further unless I upgrade, costsmore

TurboTax could be telling you that you are self-employed because of the income in certain boxes on slips.

If you've entered an amount from any of the boxes on the slips listed here, you have what the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) considers to be self-employment or business income:

• T4 slip: box 81, 82 or 83
  • T4A slip: box 20 or 48
  • T4A slip: box 28 and you selected Yes to the question Does the income declared in Box 028 consist of fees collected for services you provided? in TurboTax Online (needs to say NO to indicate no self-employment)
  • T3 slip: box 24 (foreign business income)

When you file with TurboTax, you will be directed to the version that best suits your needs based on complexity, to ensure you are getting the best possible tax outcome for the best value as seen in this TurboTax FAQ: Why did I have to upgrade my TurboTax Online edition?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.