Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint T4A Annuity amt from sale of family home - T4A in both names. Do I split the amount equally? But the the pension income splitter splits my part again?

2 Replies

Joint T4A Annuity amt from sale of family home - T4A in both names. Do I split the amount equally? But the the pension income splitter splits my part again?

If the income reported on the T4A applies to each spouse equally, ideally the issuing institution would have prepared two separate reporting slips for this purpose. If required and you are splitting the amount it will show as income for each of you.

The Pension Split Optimizer then takes the pension for one of you and shares it with the other spouse to lower net tax payable for the Family.

Sale of Home Residence SHOULD be equal ownership -- would be in a divorce, but not having a divorce, seems its who paid into the mortgage which is just one of us (other raised the kids).   Anyway, as it runs out the difference is $70 and not worth risking an issue with the CRA.   Thanks for your thoughts though.