Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My refund amount changed after logging back in?

When I originally created my 2014 tax return on Jan 8th turbo tax calculated that I was due a refund of approx $4.5K, however when I logged back in today input my address it stated I was only due a refund if $2.7K.  Did turbotax change something between? Has they inputted incorrect set parameters?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for posting this. I have spoken with our product developers and this is a known issue in the Online version that will be fixed for the next TurboTax Online update.

THE ISSUE

Who is affected: Users who started a return in the R1 release of TurboTax Online (between Jan 8-Jan 22) and claimed a Spousal Amount deduction

The user would have then logged back into their account after January 22nd, when we released our R2 update. At that point in time, the taxpayer may have noticed that their refund decreased.

Why is this happening:

We added a new question to our Online Tax engine after the 1st release. This particular question was added to allow the user not to claim the spousal credit, but instead claim the eligible dependent credit in a rare situation. For reasons still unknown, the credit for users who had started a return before R2 switches to No, don’t claim, instead of the default setting YES, Claim

There are currently no workarounds available. Affected users will have to wait until the R3 update scheduled for February 4th 2015.  Once the update is in place, users will see that the spousal amount is being calculated correctly and the refund will reflect the correct amount. 

Please post here if you have any questions or concerns.

- Clint

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Just to note I did not change address or province so this should not have affected amount

Did you claim spousal credit?

No not that either. Is there a way to clear/reset everything and I will just start over again?

Yes, just Go to Return Manager, Create a New Return (use a different file name). Then youcan delete the original returnas you wish.

Thank you for posting this. I have spoken with our product developers and this is a known issue in the Online version that will be fixed for the next TurboTax Online update.

THE ISSUE

Who is affected: Users who started a return in the R1 release of TurboTax Online (between Jan 8-Jan 22) and claimed a Spousal Amount deduction

The user would have then logged back into their account after January 22nd, when we released our R2 update. At that point in time, the taxpayer may have noticed that their refund decreased.

Why is this happening:

We added a new question to our Online Tax engine after the 1st release. This particular question was added to allow the user not to claim the spousal credit, but instead claim the eligible dependent credit in a rare situation. For reasons still unknown, the credit for users who had started a return before R2 switches to No, don’t claim, instead of the default setting YES, Claim

There are currently no workarounds available. Affected users will have to wait until the R3 update scheduled for February 4th 2015.  Once the update is in place, users will see that the spousal amount is being calculated correctly and the refund will reflect the correct amount. 

Please post here if you have any questions or concerns.

- Clint

I would think you would notify those individuals or put something on Web page. Otherwise what a hassle for people and they may end up getting g less of a refund because of this error.???

We can't notify individuals as we do not know who would be affected. Since the issue is very specific to people who started their return Jan 8-22, the # of people affected will be relatively small, especially since the the only way to be impacted would be to print and mail the return. Anyone who did that would contact us and we would honour our Accuracy Guarantee for each of them. Anyone who uses NETFILE to send the return will be in the updated program, and the Spousal amount will be claimed like it was originally intended.  

If any customers find that their refund was impacted by this issue and have filed, please call our Customer Care team at 1-888-829-8608.

Thanks.

- Clint

Hello,

I've asked our team to look into this. I'll respond back as soon as I have an answer.

Jacquelyn
gigabot72

I feel that I just experience this issue as well. Refund down by 3K when I opened today. I started the return in early January but this should be updated now so not sure if I have the same issue or not - will look.