Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My children both worked and recieved a t4 do i file separately for them

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If they are to file, then yes they would file separately.  Now technically if their income is low, they likely aren't required to file...but they would also lose out on potential benefits as well.  For instance, if the income is low, then they would get a refund of any taxes withheld at source, and potentially any refund of overpayment of CPP and/or EI.  If your children are old enough, they may qualify for a refundable credit called the Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB), and again if they are old enough, might qualify for the GST/HST rebate.  But they would need to file in order to receive these benefits.  Also, if your children are in post-secondary studies, then they would need to file in order to have tuition credits that could be carried forward and/or transferred to yourself.

What I would suggest is use the online TurboTax Standard software, that will allow you to prepare the returns for each of them...you do not pay until you choose to file, so you can see what the results would be before making any commitments. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If they are to file, then yes they would file separately.  Now technically if their income is low, they likely aren't required to file...but they would also lose out on potential benefits as well.  For instance, if the income is low, then they would get a refund of any taxes withheld at source, and potentially any refund of overpayment of CPP and/or EI.  If your children are old enough, they may qualify for a refundable credit called the Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB), and again if they are old enough, might qualify for the GST/HST rebate.  But they would need to file in order to receive these benefits.  Also, if your children are in post-secondary studies, then they would need to file in order to have tuition credits that could be carried forward and/or transferred to yourself.

What I would suggest is use the online TurboTax Standard software, that will allow you to prepare the returns for each of them...you do not pay until you choose to file, so you can see what the results would be before making any commitments. 

Thank your for your question. 

Here is a link in addition to the information provided by tromman1969https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/1190126-who-has-to-file-a-tax-return