Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcedghill

My daughter has her own T4 and also attended university, will there be tuition deductions I can take as well as her? Can I link her return to ours?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My daughter has her own T4 and also attended university, will there be tuition deductions I can take as well as her? Can I link her return to ours?

It depends on how much of the tuition credit your daughter needs to reduce her own tax liability.   Your daughter is required to use any needed first.  Federally there is a maximum of $5000 that may be transferred...however any credits needed by your daughter are deducted from this amount.  This means even if your daughter had $10,000 in tuition credit, if she needed $4500 to reduce her tax to zero then only $500 may be transferred to you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

It depends on how much of the tuition credit your daughter needs to reduce her own tax liability.   Your daughter is required to use any needed first.  Federally there is a maximum of $5000 that may be transferred...however any credits needed by your daughter are deducted from this amount.  This means even if your daughter had $10,000 in tuition credit, if she needed $4500 to reduce her tax to zero then only $500 may be transferred to you.

You are able to show your daughter as a dependant.  You will include her net income and when indicating she has tuition there are fields to complete asking for the totals of credits from your daughter's federal and provincial tax forms.

Thete are no deductions for Tuition.

There is a Tuition and Education credit, which is non-refundable. The Student has to report Tuition fees and months of part-time or full-time study on their own return, using information from their T2202A slip.

Tuition credit must be used first to reduce the students federal tax payable to zero, after all more senior credits have been taken into account. ( the term senior being used in a financial context). This is regardless of all other considerations, including any tax the student has paid thru payroll deductions.

Any Tuition credit left over from the current years earned amount may be transferred to a parent, grand, or spouse, up to a $5000 max of notional credit.

A dependant may be reported on your return, or you may require input  from another return, but no you cannot link with another return., they are separate and Individual.

Not sure why you respond in this way! This is the CRA expanation of Tuitiin credit, which I have applied for many times, always successfully!
It is changing for 2017. Education amount is going away.

Tuition credits will still be available for transfer based on the current criteria...i.e. whether they are needed by the student first.