Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgbinning

My husband is working as an electrical engineering co-op student. Without having completed an apprenticeship, is he considered a tradesperson for employment expenses?

My husband has been working with an electrical company to complete hours for his electrical engineering program. During his time as a co-op student, he has needed tools for his work, but not enough to break the minimum barrier for tradesperson supplies. I'm not sure if he's considered a tradesperson because of his status as a student and the fact that he has not completed an apprenticeship. If not, I would be able to claim his expenses as typical supplies for employment. For the purposes of reporting employment expenses, is he considered a tradesperson?
1 Reply

My husband is working as an electrical engineering co-op student. Without having completed an apprenticeship, is he considered a tradesperson for employment expenses?

To be considered a tradesperson he would have to be approved by the co-op to claim these expenses and receive a T2200 from them.