Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
szubko

My marital status changed, it is asking for my spouse's net income on his 2016 federal tax return. He has not filed yet, so which number do I use from his t4?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My marital status changed, it is asking for my spouse's net income on his 2016 federal tax return. He has not filed yet, so which number do I use from his t4?

Use the amount in box 14 of T4s as a proxy for Net Income.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Use the amount in box 14 of T4s as a proxy for Net Income.

Concerning Maritial status please review this TurboTax infromation sheet: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/change-in-marital-status-advising-the-canada-revenue-agency-453

For completing your taxes, your spouse's income is related to whether they are financially dependent on you, where you would be able to claim a non-refundable tax credit line 303. Generally, if your spouse's income was above $11,474 they will not be considered to be finacially dependant and no tax credit will apply. See for additional information: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/303/menu-eng.html

Spousal credit is always reduced by spousal line 236 Net Income. If this is greater than $11474 (for 2016) then no spousal credit applies. It is important to use an accurate estimate, in the absence of a T4 or other information. Generally, do not enter zero unless you know spousal Net is zero. T4 box 14 is a good proxy for earned Incone, if the spouse has other sources of income than reported in T4s that is to the good, since spousal credit cannot be increased by extra Incone.