Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pelkshau

My mother is disabled. When I login to her CRA is says Disability Tax Certificate 1987-2000, Status: You are eligible. Am I able to claim the caregiver tax credit?

1 Reply

My mother is disabled. When I login to her CRA is says Disability Tax Certificate 1987-2000, Status: You are eligible. Am I able to claim the caregiver tax credit?

If your mother depends on you for support because of physical or mental impairment, you may also be able to claim the CCC for her. 

As per CRA, your mother is considered to depend on you for support if she relies on you to regularly and consistently provide her with some or all of the basic necessities of life, such as food, shelter, and clothing. 

The amount you can claim depends on your relationship to the person for whom you are claiming the CCC, your circumstances, the person’s net income, and whether other credits are being claimed for that person.  The amounts also change every year. You can check schedule 5 for the required information and calculations.

For an eligible dependant 18 years of age or older, you may be entitled to claim the extra CCC on line 30400 with the Amount of an Eligible Dependant (previously was Line 305). You could also claim an amount up on line 30425 Caregiver Amount for spouse/common-law partner or eligible dependant age18 or older (previously was line 304).

Please see our TurboTax article of Everything You Need to Know About the Canada Caregiver Credit (CCC) to learn more about Canada Caregiver Credit.

However, if your mom doesn't depend on you for support because of physical or mental impairment, you cannot claim Canada Caregiver Tax Credit. She can claim a disability tax credit for herself. Moreover,  if she does not need the DTC to reduce her tax liability to zero—then some or all of the amount may be transferred to your tax return. Please see our TurboTax FAQs of Is the Disability Tax Credit transferrable from a dependant? to learn more about Transfer of Disability Tax Credit.