Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwamidei

My son (age 16 in 2016) worked part-time, he received a T4 slip but not a T1, do I claim his income or not until he turns 18 & can I use line 101 on his T4?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My son (age 16 in 2016) worked part-time, he received a T4 slip but not a T1, do I claim his income or not until he turns 18 & can I use line 101 on his T4?

The T1 would be your son's tax return if he files.  You are looking to enter his net income on your own return...this will be box 14 of his T4 less amounts (if any) showing in box 20 and box 44 of the T4.

If your son has no tax owing (especially if his income is less than $11,474) then he is not required to file a tax return.  However you may wish to prepare a return to see if he will get anything back.  You can use the TurboTax software to prepare the return, and only if you choose to file the return would you be asked to pay for the software.  In order to begin a new return, you would click "Tools" and then "Return Manager."

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The T1 would be your son's tax return if he files.  You are looking to enter his net income on your own return...this will be box 14 of his T4 less amounts (if any) showing in box 20 and box 44 of the T4.

If your son has no tax owing (especially if his income is less than $11,474) then he is not required to file a tax return.  However you may wish to prepare a return to see if he will get anything back.  You can use the TurboTax software to prepare the return, and only if you choose to file the return would you be asked to pay for the software.  In order to begin a new return, you would click "Tools" and then "Return Manager."