Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pivnickp

My wife is employed by a nursing agency, and is required to drive to client's homes. Can she deduct her driving expenses, even though she's not self employed?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife is employed by a nursing agency, and is required to drive to client's homes. Can she deduct her driving expenses, even though she's not self employed?

Here is a link to more information regarding Employment Expenses...your wife would qualify as a salaried employee, provided the employer gives her the T2200.  

Basically, your wife should be able to claim a portion of her vehicle expenses...determined by comparing her km driven for work, as opposed to her km driven total for the year.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Does your wife's employer give her a T2200 (Declaration of Conditions of Employment) form?
pivnickp

Thanks for the response -- I've just read about that, and I'm not sure. Will have to look into this.

(But I assume if they do, then she can deduct...)

Here is a link to more information regarding Employment Expenses...your wife would qualify as a salaried employee, provided the employer gives her the T2200.  

Basically, your wife should be able to claim a portion of her vehicle expenses...determined by comparing her km driven for work, as opposed to her km driven total for the year.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

Again dependant on that T2200 form...your wife may also be able to claim parking expenses related to her work as well.