Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rrmuffin
Returning Member

Provincial Statement of World Income: Other Canadian-source income

Hello,

My question is regarding the section "Provincial Statement of World Income: Other Canadian-source income"

I am a non-resident, working remote in a different country for all of 2021, being paid by a Canadian company. 

My T4 imported via CRA using the auto-fill my return. For this example, let's say T4 line 14 is 50,000 employment income, and line 22 is 10,000 income tax deducted.

Do I enter the gross income 50,000 into "Other Canadian-source income" as well or would that be double-counting it and I should leave it $0?

Also, on that same line, "Other Canadian-source income," I can enter any amount from $6,781 to $500,000 and my 2021 balance due remains exactly the same. If I enter $0 to $6,780, it flips to a tax refund. Any idea why I can enter higher amounts with no impact on the balance due? 

Statement of World Income

Income from Canadian Sources
Net interest and other investment income
Net rental income
Other Canadian-source income
50,000?

Thanks for the help and guidance!
1 Reply

Provincial Statement of World Income: Other Canadian-source income

According to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), you must report the T4 slip as well as the Statement of World Income. The reason being: The T4 slip is your actual slip meant to report your income as well as all deductions associated; however with the Statement of World Income, it's only purpose is to identify which federal, provincial, or territorial tax credits you are eligible for, meaning you will not be double taxed if both are reported and will be beneficial for you to do so to get your eligible credits. The reason that you are entering a value on the "Other Canadian-Source Income" line and receiving a refund is because the system is automatically calculating which credits you are eligible for. For more information, check here: Non-Residents and Income Tax

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.