Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I have a disability and an eligible spouse, how come the CWB amount is less than it should be?

2 Replies

If I have a disability and an eligible spouse, how come the CWB amount is less than it should be?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax Community!

As per Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), the amount you can expect to receive for the Canada Workers Benefit (CWB) depends on your income and your province or territory of residence. 

If your spouse is eligible for the disability tax credit, your spouse should claim both the basic amount and the disability amount.

The maximum basic amount is $2,379 for families. The amount is gradually reduced if your adjusted family net income is more than $17,348. No basic amount is paid if your adjusted family net income is more than $37,173. The maximum amount for the disability supplement is $713 for families.

The CWB disability supplement is gradually reduced if your adjusted family net income is more than $37,176. No disability supplement is paid if one spouse is eligible for the disability tax credit and your adjusted family net income is more than $43,118, or if both spouses are eligible for the disability tax credit and your adjusted family net income is more than $49,060.

Based on your given information, the limits above might be one of the reasons which make your CWB get reduced.

For more detailed information, please visit Canada workers benefit (CWB) – How much you can expect to receive by CRA. 

then why in the past and current return TurboTax used the individual income and not net family income so CRA allowed the disability supplement but for some reason this year, CRA recalculated the net family income so we did not get the disability supplement but TurboTax showed we would?