Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agathej86

Why do I have to pay for 2 self-employed declarations?

we did a declaration with my husband and I'm self-employed and he's not
1 Reply

Why do I have to pay for 2 self-employed declarations?

If you are preparing you and your spouse's returns together both income tax and benefit returns will be prepared under the Self-Employed software.  If filing together, each package is designed to integrate the information from both spouses to obtain the best possible tax outcome, tools, advice and information for each spouse.

If you wish to have a different price applied to your return than your spouse's you will have to elect to file separately and select a package that best suits each of your needs.  Note, that the fees for completing your return are considered a business expense. Also note that there are integrated advantages in completing your returns together within TurboTax, such as the Optimizers for medical expenses, pension splitting and charitable donations.

To prepare the returns separately, we recommend that you start a new return, choosing the desired version. You must select “Myself” or “Someone else” and provide the first name of the individual. After this stage, you will be completing one individual return under that chosen price. You will enter the spousal information at a later information stage within the profile section of “My Info”. You will then repeat the process for the other spouse.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.