Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing income from a T4RSP?

If I withdraw from my RRSP to a joint account (to pay off debt) can I claim that as my wife's income or does it have to be mine? (On the T4RSP it has my name. We're filing a joint return.)

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

No.  You must report all of the income.  It is not transferrable to your spouse.  One other note, while you may be preparing your return at the same time as your spouse, you are in fact preparing and filing 2 separate returns.  There is no such thing as a "joint" return in Canada

View solution in original post

3 Replies
fuzzy

No.  You must report all of the income.  It is not transferrable to your spouse.  One other note, while you may be preparing your return at the same time as your spouse, you are in fact preparing and filing 2 separate returns.  There is no such thing as a "joint" return in Canada

Thanks fuzzy. Very helpful. I thought that would be the case but I knew you could split pension income so wondered if that were possible here.
fuzzy

Sorry, but lump sum withdrawals from an RRSP are generally not regarded as pension income.  For reference please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/pnsn-splt/qlfy-eng.html