Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I enter 0 income if i don't have any income whatsoever from Canada and only stayed 4 months the past year but i was earning income from outside of canada?

2 Replies

Should I enter 0 income if i don't have any income whatsoever from Canada and only stayed 4 months the past year but i was earning income from outside of canada?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. In case of Canadian income on line 1500 your total income will be zero but if you had income source outside of Canada you will need to fill it your foreign income. 

Whether you live in Canada or are a deemed resident of Canada who lives in another country, you have to report all of your international income on your return.

However, you may be able to claim a credit for any foreign tax you have paid on your income. When completing your income tax return, convert your foreign income and tax to Canadian currency using the exchange rate published by the Bank of Canada.

To calculate the amount of your credit, complete Form T2209, Federal Foreign Tax Credits. Then, claim your credit on line 40500 of your income tax return.

For further clarification please check out our blogs on: Foreign Income and Tax Treatiesand Canadian Tax Obligations If You Live Outside of Canada

Thank you for replying.

But i think you missed a critical point in the case -> "only stayed 4 months the past year "

If i didn't stay 6 months in the past year, i am not deemed as tax resident, correct?

and in that case, should i report my foreign income? and if i do, will i get taxed for the foreign income ?