Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kdoyle83

Do I need to file a return for my 4 year old son with a disability?

I'm trying to claim the disability amount transferred from my son, but it asks to enter amounts from his tax return? I've left all boxes at "0" but it doesn't change my balance. He's 4 years old, do I have to file a return for him?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No, you do not have to file a return for your son.  You are good with what you have done.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

No, you do not have to file a return for your son.  You are good with what you have done.
kdoyle83

Shouldn't claiming the disability amount give me some sort of refund? Along with the disability transfer, I also selected the Family Caregiver Amount, but neither changed my balance. What am I missing?

It can depend on what your tax liability is to begin with.  The disability tax credit and family caregiver credit are non-refundable credits...they are good to reduce tax liability but if tax liability gets to zero then any additional credits don't do anything.
kdoyle83

So all of the boxes on the Disability Transfer section should be "0"? I believe I'm supposed to enter $12506 somewhere for his disability amount

The software will calculate the disability transfer bases on the age and net income of the dependant.  You should see the credit in the detailed summary.