Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YMS1975
Returning Member

Small business owner in Ontario, in need of some help.

Hello,

I'll try to make this short & sweet. I'm a former Turbo Tax Canada customer. I wasn't too pleased with the lack of support I was receiving from Intuit, so last year I ended up filing my taxes with H&R Block Canada.

This upcoming tax season (for the end of 2021 fiscal year), I've been toying with the idea of using Intuit Turbo Tax Canada again. But I have some questions, and I'm seriously hoping that I can get the support I need. TBPH, I find this process very slow & inefficient (posting online & waiting for a response). Are the only participants of this forum other users like myself, or are there actual Intuit Turbo Tax Canada employees/moderators working here? I have a few questions & I'm really hoping someone (anyone!) can point me in the right direction.

1) Is there a Customer Service phone number for Intuit Turbo Tax Canada? If so, what is it? I can't find it on this website anywhere!

2) I reside in ONtario, Canada & I operate a very small-scale dog breeding business from my home. I currently do not have a registered business name, however I'm considering becoming incorporated. Which version of Intuit Turbo Tax Canada would you recommend for me? My guess would be "Turbo Tax Online Self-Employed"?

3) If I do register as a corporation in the future, would that change my Turbo Tax version that I would be using?

4) I keep all my business-related expenses (receipts) in an envelope. But what about my mortgage? The water bill? The heating (gas) bill? The hydro bill? What about property taxes? What about the house insurance? Since I'm working from home, can I use these as deductions & if so, when it comes time to enter this information into the appropriate fields, can someone (online or by phone) help me to understand how to calculate the amounts I'm allowed to enter, and where to enter it?

I know I've asked a lot of questions, but I really want to figure out if Turbo Tax is for me & if I can make a go of this. Really hoping someone out there can help me. Fingers crossed.

3 Replies

TurboTax Canada no longer has a phone number to call.  Here is a video showing how to contact them.

If you are a single member corporation you can still use Self Employed.  If a multi-member corporation than TT Business Canada might be the solution for you.  

This is a public forum and it is possible that there are Canada Intuit employees/monitors using it.  TurboTax will give you guidance on how to deduct any home office expenses.  

The Canada help desk will be able to give you more details.

YMS1975
Returning Member

Hey DanPaul03....

Thank you so much for responding. I'm completely lost here, so I'm trying to figure this all out, or at the very least have an idea.

You mentioned the possibility of it being a "multi-member corporation". This is a very small scale family-based operation. My sons & I are in this business together. Would you consider that a multi-member corporation, or no?

In the US it would most likely be a multi-member LLC, but Canada law is not the same as US and you need to discuss the move to incorporate with someone who is familiar with Canadian laws.  I would suggest talking to a tax attorney in Canada.