Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software suggested I upgrade. The additional cost of upgrading did not increase my refund in any way. How do I switch back to the original version of Turbotax now?

Tried adding some medical expenses after paying to upgrade to Deluxe but no increase in refund so no reason to upgrade (but now I can't return to normal version of Turbotax).
1 Reply

Software suggested I upgrade. The additional cost of upgrading did not increase my refund in any way. How do I switch back to the original version of Turbotax now?

When starting a new return, TurboTax will ask questions about your current tax situation. Based on your return's complexity, you could be directed to a different edition of TurboTax that has all the applicable forms. The product you used in prior years may no longer be available to you as it’s not the most effective solution for your needs.

Note: Some deductions (such as medical expenses, donations, or moving expenses) only impact your refund or tax owing in certain conditions, like if your income is below a certain level. To get you the best outcome, you need to enter all your tax information into TurboTax, which sometimes requires an upgrade.

Unfortunately, there is no way to downgrade a TurboTax product once you have upgraded it. You would need to create a new return in the version you want and then re-enter your information.

To start a new return, select “Start a New Return” from under “My Returns” in the left side menu. Once you have started your new return, you can select “View All Tax Returns” from under “My Returns”, and delete the unwanted return by clicking the small Trash Can next to it.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.