Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canaway
Returning Member

Turbo Tax is telling me my prov. of self employment is different but I was not self employed. I read the FAQ and checked my T4 and T4A slips, but it did not apply to me.

There is nothing in box 81,82,83 or 20,28,48, and I do not have a T3. I did have other income not on a T4, but its under $3500 so I filed it under other income. 

1 Reply
canaway
Returning Member

Turbo Tax is telling me my prov. of self employment is different but I was not self employed. I read the FAQ and checked my T4 and T4A slips, but it did not apply to me.

Ok so I somehow got it fixed so I just wanted to share what I did incase there are others like me. 

I went to self employment and checked a random box that asks you what kind of self employment job you have, and then it took me to a list of my businesses and how much income it earned. It gave me the option to edit/delete the business information on the right side, so I deleted the business, and then all was good.

I think the problem may have been that I unknowingly checked the box that asked what kind of self employment job you have, and the program auto saved it; therefore leading me to have the business account information saved, hence the prov. of self employment being inconsistent (because its not filled out).

I logged out, signed back in some days after, tried to file my taxes, and then the error popped up. I went back to check the self employment page, unchecked the box (I thought Turbo Tax automatically checked the box by some error), tried again, failed. I did see the little statement on the top saying something along the lines of "unchecking the box will not lead you to delete the business, you must erase all information for deletion" but since I didn't enter any information and only had the box checked, I thought everything would be ok after unchecking said box (Obviously I was wrong). So what I had to do was continue on from that page, in order for me to delete the business information altogether. By the way, this is all just speculation of what may have happened. Please read the FAQ and make sure you don't actually have any self employment income.

Hopefully my hours of confusion and stress can help some of you. Sorry if I couldn't explain properly, I'm still  stressed and confused and also, its 3:30AM. Good luck on your taxes everyone!